Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fashion Interview with Becky with Becky Bedbug

I am sorry this was supposed to go up yesterday! Don't hurt meeee!!!!
JK
Enjoy!


What is your name, age, general location, and blog?
My name is Becky and I write Becky Bedbug (www.beckybedbug.blogspot.com). I’m 23 and I live in Hampshire, England.
How would you describe your style and do you believe that you demonstrate it through your blog?
In theory, I would describe my style as Helena Bonham Carter meets Wednesday Adams in the 1960s. In reality, it’s a lot more conservative than that. My job as a teacher, and my chubby frame, means I can’t get away with over-knee socks and creepers!
Why did you start your blog?
When I started my job as a primary school teacher, I was determined not to sacrifice my style. I looked online for a teacher fashion blog to get some inspiration but, when I couldn’t find one, I decided to start my own. It also encourages me to actually make an effort with my clothes.
Have you had many opportunities since you started you blog, for example with advertisers and sponsors?
Nope but then I’ve only had my blog for a couple of weeks.
Do you connect with your readers? If yes, by what means?
I do indeed. My readers fuel my blog. I visit their blogs and leave comments, I send them emails and chat to them on Twitter (www.twitter.com/beckybedbug). It’s great to connect with other people.
Besides blogging, do you have any hobbies?
Unfortunately, my job as a teacher takes up most of my time. Lots of people believe teachers only work 9-5 but, in actual fact, I work around 70 hours a week. I love my job but it leaves little time for hobbies. I always manage to find time to watch my favourite bands live. There’s nothing I love more than getting sweaty in a mosh pit rocking out to some great music!
What does it take, in your opinion; do create a good and quality blog post?
Great photography and a witty commentary. Although I do have a well developed writing style, it’s very easy to fall into the trap of just typing a bland commentary so I’m really trying to spend some time ensuring everything on my blog is up to par.
If you could live in any city in the world, which city would it be and why?
Ok, it’s predictable and, seeing as I live a 30-minute train ride away,  it’s hardly exotic but I truly love London. My father used to live there and I’d visit him for a weekend every month. That was when I really developed my love of fashion as I was allowed to visit Bond Street, Covent Garden and Carnaby Street alone. I loved spending time exploring the shops and observing the clothes everyone was wearing. I always loved the anonymity of London- You can really experiment with fashion and nobody will bat an eyelid.
I was lucky enough to live in East London for three months whilst on teaching placement last year and I didn’t want to leave. With such diversity and vibrance, it’s just the most magical place in the world.
How much time, on average, do you spend on your blog per day?
In total, with taking photos, editing, writing content and promotion, I must spend about 3 hours a day on it. Which seems a very long time when you consider I don’t get home until 7:30 every evening!
What do you think is the “best” blog design?
I think the perfect blog design is the end of the rainbow for bloggers. I don’t know if it even exists. I know for me, I will always look at other blogs and wish I had thought of that design. I will have one idea and then not like it once it is executed. I’m still experimenting with mine. Hopefully I’ll find my pot of gold one day.
What celebrity would you say has the best style?
Helena Bonham Carter is one of my style icons. I love how she wears exactly what she likes and is always true to herself. I actually wrote a post about her on my blog. I also love Carey Mulligan’s mod style and I think Adele dresses beautifully. I get a lot of inspiration from photos of everyday women in the 1950s and 60s. I am also inspired by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance and Tim Burton. My inner emo kid loves anything dark and twisted!
Do you have a favorite blog? If so, what is it?
I have a number of favourite blog but I have to say that at the moment, I love Petit Chatons (http://www.petitchatons.blogspot.com). Laura, the girl who writes the blog, has very similar taste in designers and I am constantly amazed at the finds she writes about. She has a great eye for fashion… plus she’s cute as a button!
What would you say is your favorite fashion book?
I am such a huge book lover and I have so many fashion books on my wishlist. I have an amazing Taschen book called Fashion which chronicles fashion adverts from throughout the 20th century. There are so many more I want- I have my eye on the amazing new Dior Couture book. It looks stunning but at around £50, it’s one for the birthday list I think.
Do you spend the time to use correct grammar on you blog?
Oh absolutely! Of course- I’m a teacher! Although it’s not so much a matter of spending time on the correct grammar as I have a naturally acute understanding of grammatical rules. One of the things that can really turn me off a blog is incorrect grammar, spelling and punctuation (although, of course, it’s understandable for people who don’t speak English as their first language).
You can take the teacher out of the classroom…
What show do you think has the best fashion?
I’m not entirely sure what you mean by show in this context- fashion show or television show- but seeing as you ask about fashion designers below, I will answer for television show.
I thought This Is England ’86 and ’88 had amazing inspiration. Generally speaking, 1950s and 1960s aesthetics appeal to me and I have little interest in the 80s but I found the styling in This Is England sensational, particularly the character of Smell who wore some of the craziest outfits I have ever seen on TV!
Are you honest in your blog posts?
Of course! Why wouldn’t I be?
Who would you say is your favorite designer?
My new favourite designer is (or are, seeing as they’re a duo) Medham Kirchhoff. Their spring/summer show looked incredible- all pastel delights and kooky details, complete with Regina George-style peekaboo bra tops. My other favourite right now is Miu Miu. I adore the cutesy, innocent aesthetic.
I am also absolutely in love with Dior. The whole New Look aesthetic really appeals to me- the frills, the petticoats, the glamour and elegance. I love it! I also love the eerie quirkiness of Alexander McQueen and the drama of John Galliano. 
If you could have one signature piece, what would it be?
I’d like something timeless that would last a lifetime. Perhaps a Miu Miu bag, a pair of Christian Louboutin boots or a McQueen coat.  
Do you have a favorite quote, if so what is it?
“Be whoever you are extremely loud and be completely fearless”- Gerard Way.
I find it such an inspirational quote- it doesn’t matter who you are or what you are, just celebrate it and be that to the max!
What is one message you are trying to convey through your blog?
That teachers don’t have to be stuffy!

XOXO
Anna

1 comment:

  1. walking here with a smile. take care.. have a nice day ~ =)

    Regards,
    http://www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary) ..

    ReplyDelete